Event Time and Date
Journalism and Communication Assistant
Early May – June 16, 2017
Approximately 30 hours
This volunteer position is to provide journalism and communications support for a youth-led community event in Abbotsford on May 26, 2017. The Art of Storytelling event is designed to inspire youth and young adults through a full day of conversation, peer-to-peer networking, and contribute to the creation of a public artwork.
As the Journalism and Communications Assistant you will work alongside Fraser Basin Council staff to:
Support the development of a media communication strategy for the project
- Assist with pre-event promotion and participant recruitment through various traditional media outlets (i.e. local newspapers, UFV campus radio station, community radio stations)
- Attend the Art of Story Telling event from 9am – 5pm on Friday, May 26th 2017 at Trethewey House in Abbotsford
- Gather information throughout the day to write post event materials
- Write at least 2 newspaper articles for publication in local or campus newspapers to generate interest from youth to attend
- Write at least 2 newspaper articles that summarize the event highlights for publication in local newspapers after the event.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be currently enrolled at the University of the Fraser Valley in a communications or journalism related program or will return to UFV in September 2017
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Dependable, reliable and highly organized
- The ability to synthesize information into engaging and informative articles for diverse audiences, including youth and young adults
- Effective communicator in both written and oral formats
- Posses the ability to to create an effective communications strategy to recruit participants for a youth-focused event
- Posses the ability to connect with local newspapers and radio stations to communicate before and after the youth event.
INTERESTED? Please contact email@example.com or call 604 488 5367
Trethewey House Heritage Site
CCR Eligible Experience, Community Connections, Experiential Learning, Leadership Development, Networking , Personal Development, Professional Development, Volunteer